Books I'm Reading/Plan To Read

Monday, April 14, 2008

Have A Little Faith

Faith...it really is a funny thing. What exactly is faith? Is it purely religious, or does it know no boundaries?

Faith, can be defined as many things, but the form of faith I am talking about is the ability to believe and rely on things that are not tangible, not proven, not necessarily able to even be proven.

This whole year, I have been reading books and listening to seminars that have helped me to reflect on myself and the way I live and the world around me. It has been a journey that has been rejuvenating and welcomed. I have began to discover things about myself that I hope to change for the better. One of those things is to begin to have more faith. Not necessarily faith in myself or faith in others, but rather, faith in the sense of the definition above.

I have always prided myself as being fairly optimistic about almost anything. But I want to take it a step further. There is more than just looking "on the sunny side of the street." There is more than seeing the glass as half full. I want to begin to believe in what is not seen, not just in terms of spirituality and religion, but in the world. I want to look and believe in the good that is there in everyone. I want to be able to believe the way a child does, that anything you tell them is possible and that all dreams are obtainable.

Somewhere between being born and becoming an "adult" we seem to lose that faith in dreams and in the impossible. I am taking a leap here, but I bet, if more of us were to "find" that faith that we lost, or we can encourage the youth of this world to keep that faith, then this world would be a better place and so many things could be different. If we believed in the dreams and the impossible would there be such a thing as cancer or AIDS, or would we have found a cure already? Would we of had a Woman or African-American president prior to now possibly? What could be?

Please, feel free to comment on your ideas of faith, and anything that I have said above....all is welcome!

8 comments:

Eva said...

Okay, so I read your post last night, and thought, "Man, here is a post that challenges you to think about something deep and stuff!" So I thunk and I thunk and wanted to share something.

I was raised by two agnostics, so the word "faith" was never a part of our dialogue. I developed a small sense of spirituality though: I have always found nature to be rather breathtaking, which I perceive as being created by something spiritual. Yet I never belonged to any organized religion, so I never have defined faith in the usual sense. I guess I share your desire to want to believe that there is good in everyone, but having faith in a higher power? I don't think I do. I'm more a part of the "free will" and "be your own destiny" kind of gal.

But when I stand atop a snowy peak on a cloudless day, seeing the contrast of blue sky on a white landscape, it brings tears to my eyes. The world we live on is amazingly beautiful.

p.s. Go Hillary!!!

Matt said...

I agree with what you are saying and I myself am more of the "free will" and "be your own destiny" style of a person.

But, here is the thing, for me, by being this type of a person, and believing in free will and not predetermined fate, I honestly think that you then still have faith. Is it faith in a higher power? No, and I don't even think that form of faith is necessary. But what is necessary I think is just faith in yourself, which for many people is the one thing in their life can remain unseen.

Anyways, that is that! And I agree...Go Hillary!

sari said...

I believe in God. I find that it's a tough thing to have faith in the day to day things, I tend to worry a lot about things that I really should just let go of and not worry about and it gets a little overwhelming for me. But the big things, I have faith they will be all right.

Every time I look down at my sleeping baby or one of my two older boys and see how perfect and miraculous they are, I can't help but be reminded that there is someone out there bigger than me, watching out for us.

On a non-spiritual front, I think you're right - sometime when we grow up, we lose the ability to just have faith in other people. Too many times we've been disappointed and we build walls to keep people from hurting or disappointing us again. I know many times I automatically jump to the wrong conclusion instead of having faith that people will do the right thing, and that is something I've been trying to work on lately.

TroyBoy said...

Mish mash. A topless dancer and a career student talking about faith! Hmmm. Okay, Eva, I know in your in case it's just for pretend.

Faith. I have been on every track of religion and spirituality, which I don't think are the same as faith. In order to have belief in a religion, or anything for that matter, you must have faith in it. But having faith is something that stands on its own. When you are sitting at a red light, don't you have faith in the fact that it will turn green...eventually. Faith is great thing, I have it in my spouse and in myself. In Hillary? I have faith that she'll make a great VP - maybe! Go Obama!

Matt said...

No TroyBoy, I do not believe that you can have faith in something like the traffic light turning green. Faith itself, as defined is the ability to believe and rely on things that are not tangible, not proven, not necessarily able to even be proven.

It is fact that it turns green. It is tested and true. If it doesn't turn green then it is either (a) broken or (b) the power is out. But there is no belief necessary in it. Faith and fact, just don't collide.

On the other hand, having faith in your spouse and yourself, it absolutely faith. It is something that is unseen, unknown. I think though that the idea of faith in marriage is moreso the faith in love and a faith in meaning of marriage and the bond between two people.

TracyMichele said...

Interesting discussion! I think I come at this from a whole different perspective. I HAVE faith. I have faith in the little things and I have faith in the big things. I have faith that my God knows what is best for me and wishes me no harm. I have faith that he cries when I AM hurt. I have faith that I can handle whatever is tossed my way. I believe all dreams ARE possible and I can't wait to help my kids chase their dreams. Faith, for me, is just like breathing. I rarely even think about it. It is just part of me.

sari said...

I have to agree that faith is believing in something you can't see or don't know the outcome of...not 'the light will turn green'. That's a fact (unless it's broken) - it's made to turn green.

Cristina said...

Good discussion! Organized religion and I have some issues. A LOT of issues. Meanwhile I have raised my boys and educated them in Catholic schools (as I was for a time). I do believe in God. I mean someone is driving this bus, it simply cannot be haphazard! Faith in humanity is the tough one. That's what I need to work on. Why do we always think the bad of others just because their way is different from ours? Can't we have faith in them that it's just their way - different but not necessarily bad?
Again, Good discussion!