Books I'm Reading/Plan To Read

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Throwing My Hat Into The Ring

Well, since many of my blogging friends have shifted focus into politics, I feel iI might as well get my opinion heard! Now, since this campaign has started I had flip-flopped my views and favorable candidates more times than John Kerry in Congress! There were many candidates on both party lines that I have like, some that I have disliked, and some that have no business running (Mr. Nader)!

So, you might be asking now, who is your choice for the Democratic nominee? Well, I am so glad you asked, because, my choice is not the "usual 24 year olds choice" in that I favor Hilary Clinton! After researching much of what she has done and the committees that she has worked on I feel that she is best suited at this time to be the next president. She seems as though she has the power needed and the gumption to get this country back to where it needs to be.

Now, I do like Obama. I think he is a wonderful man, an exquisite speaker, and will make an exceptional president...in 8 years! I have always enjoyed hearing this man speak, and yesterday's race inspired speech was no different. However, I believe that the introduction of race as a major point in this election could be what brings him down. Since this has occurred, his 14 point lead over Clinton has dwindled to 3 points, statistically insignificant. And today, it is being reported that Senator Clinton has a 7 point lead over Obama, something that while it was recorded prior to his March 18 speech, did not change after the speech.

Initially, I felt that the race issue was actually in Obama's favor. In America it seems as though we are more willing and accepting of being called sexist, and therefore more people would willingly attack Hilary Clinton's character as a woman. However, we are still extremely afraid of being called racist, and therefore there were no attacks to Obama's character (weather or not there is call for it).

Another idea that has irked me, is that it seems Obama was constantly saying that the election results were not about race, even though many time exit polls showed it was. In Mississippi 91% of African-Americans voted for Obama, and 72% of Caucasians voted for Clinton! If that is not a racially divided election, then what is?

Finally, is the newest of the Obama issues. Recently, his church and Reverend have been in the news, for issues and things that have been said. Now, I greatly respect Obama for the ways in which he has handled this issue. I think it was commendable that rather than attacking the messenger of these words he attacked the message that they bring. On the other hand, these comments that have been made, have not been a one time thing. In fact, this Reverend is known for some of the controversy he has stirred up in the past. In fact, many of the sermons that contained these "controversial" messages, is available as a DVD sold at the church. However, can you honestly tell me that after 20 years of going to this church, of being a member, being married by this Reverend, and having your children baptized by this Reverend, that you don't subscribe to some of what he has to say?

Take this example, I am a member of Toastmasters International. I joined to improve my oral communication skills and I have been a member for almost 5 years now. If I were to say that all of my oral communication skills and improvements were not due to this organization and denounce Toastmasters, I would be lying. There are things that are learned and followed from that program, just like there are things that are learned and followed from years in church. Now, I am not calling Senator Obama a lier, I am just saying that it is hard to believe that by denouncing Reverend Wright, the Senator does not still subscribe to the beliefs and doctrines that he has listened to in church for 20 years.

Please let me know your feelings on this subject!

3 comments:

Hilda said...

Matt...seriously are you saying you think Obama might be a racist?

Because based on his speeches, that's what Reverend Wright is - a racist. We can debate wheter Wright is justified or not, but that's for another day.

The bottom line in this whole mess is that Obama has a close relationship with a man who due to his expereinces is a racist - I don't for a minute believe the same applies to Obama.

Don't you have close friends with whom you absoloutely don't agree politically but whom you love and are loyal to just the same?

Please, let's focus on the real issues and stop letting these distractions, well, distract us.

Matt said...

I am not saying that I think Senator Obama is a racist or might be a racist.

What I am saying is that if he does not agree with this message, that has not been a one time occurrence with this Reverend, than why has he been a member of this church and had such a close mentor who definitely seems racist for 20 years!

I am sorry, but having different political stances is one thing between friends. Having friends who have strong racial motivation is all together different.

Anonymous said...

I personally can hardly wait to the general election ...whether it is Obama or Clinton.... and I would love to see them as a team - they are certainly what I would call an "election dream team"