Books I'm Reading/Plan To Read

Monday, March 10, 2008

The Monday Morning Mix-Up: The Neil Diamond Edition

Well it was a record turnout in the voting booth this week! And it was also unanimous this week as to who walked away as the Mix-Up winner... now this might not seem as big of a feat as many of you are thinking. You see, the record turnout was a record low...only 1 person voted, therefore the lucky winner had 100% of the votes...and the winner was Neil Diamond! All these songs have come from (1) The Essential Neil Diamond (2) Three Chord Opera (3) 12 Songs. So, here it is the Neil Diamond Mix:
  • Solitary Man - A classic (as though most of these aren't!)
  • Red, Red Wine - So, now here is my question, did Neil Diamond cover UB40 or did UB40 cover Neil Diamond, because until now I had never heard this version. Update: I now know, that Neil Diamond is the genius behind this song!
  • I Am...I Said - It is a good song! Love the references throughout, "Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of being a king?"
  • He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
  • Brother Love's Salvation Show - A good song, even though it sounds like something that Eddie would of sung in Rocky Horror Picture Show! Update: Sorry, the words were mixed up in my head! Title of the song is fixed!
  • September Morn
  • You Are The Best Part Of Me - I am beginning to think that Neil Diamond doesn't like Saturday Nights, he seems to reference them, in negative ways in many songs!
  • A Mission of Love - Very old fashioned, Elvis, Big Band, style! A great message, in a nicely refreshing song!
  • Save Me A Saturday Night - A nice song, but slow, and again another depressing Saturday Night!
  • We - My absolute favorite Neil Diamond song! It is from his latest CD 12 Songs, and it is just such a light song with so much meaning!
Well that is it for this week! So please please please vote for next week! You have the opportunity to choose the music!

1 comment:

Hilda said...

Matt, you write:

"Red, Red Wine - So, now here is my question, did Neil Diamond cover UB40 or did UB40 cover Neil Diamond, because until now I had never heard this version."

Sacrilege! Neil Diamond wrote and recorded it in the late 60s, UB40 covered it in the early 80s.

"I Am...I Said - It is a good song! Love the references throughout, 'Did you ever hear about the frog who wanted to be king?'"

Who are you Troy? It's "Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of bein' a king"!

"Brother Love's Salvation Stone"

Seriously you're suffering from Troy Mangled Song Disease! The name of the song is "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show"! LOL...:)

Great mix up!