Books I'm Reading/Plan To Read

Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Question to the Blogging Masses

As everyone should know Senators Barak Obama and Hilary Clinton are both running for the Democratic nomination for the office of President of the United States of America. This is an exciting time for our country, a woman and a man of color are the possible candidates! Could it be that our country has finally accepted both of these "minorities" into power playing roles?

Up until now I have always thought that Senator Obama's race has helped him to a point. It seems as though in this country, comedians, late night talk show hosts, and everyday people have no problem being called sexist. However, there is a much greater fear of being called a racist. So while Leno and Letterman can comment on Senator Clinton's sex or even Senator McCain's age, the do not touch anything relating to the character of Senator Obama.

I recently read a couple of my blogging friends posts about events that have happened over the past week, in relation to Senator Obama and race. I wrote a fairly long post in response to their posts as well as detailing my view on the situation, but I too have fallen into the category of being feared to be called racist, even though I don't attack Senator Obama's character but rather his possible beliefs.

So here is my question to you bloggers out there, how is that as a country we have gone so far as to have an African-American as the current leading candidate, but are still afraid to criticize him because of skin color? Isn't it the criticism that helps people to grow?

5 comments:

TroyBoy said...

Your question makes no sense to me: "...but are still afraid to criticize him because of skin color? Isn't it the criticism that helps people to grow?".

Matty, put down the crack pipe and no one will get hurt. Why on earth would we ever criticize someone based on the level of pigmentation in their skin? Racism is shunned because, well, it's wrong.

Does Hilary desevere the sexist comments? No. It's true that women have been labeled in our country as "the weaker sex", but that doesn't make it a valid statement.

She is going to have to fight hard to overcome that just has McCain is going to have to overcome the notion that his favorite midday snack is prunes and Obama will have to overcome the idea that his favorite restaraunt of choice is a tie between Bojangles and Popeyes.

These are all stereotypes and none of them have a place in our national election.

Matt said...

I am not saying to criticize him based on the color of his skin.

I am saying that it appears that the masses are afraid to criticize him period in fear of being labeled racist.

TroyBoy said...

Ohhhhhhhh, okay, got it. Well. I would still disagree with you. He constantly being labeled as the guy who is all speech and no substance. I even heard some negative feedback about his speech. An African-American lady said that his response, while eloquent, was reactive and not proactive. That he only gave it because he had to. Good observation.

Neither Hilary or Barrack are perfect, let the better candidate when the nomination based!

Matt said...

I respect your opinion Troyboy, but I feel I need to expand a little further.

I understand that he is being criticized, however, it is almost always his policy and his plans for the country, but you don't see his character or him himself being criticized.

However, I have a feeling that after this week, that might change.

Hilda said...

Matt writes:
"however, it is almost always his policy and his plans for the country, but you don't see his character or him himself being criticized. "

Perhaps he hasn't done anything - character-wise - for which he deserves criticism. Or if he has, it hasn't been discovered yet.