Books I'm Reading/Plan To Read

Monday, March 17, 2008

Star Gazing (previously known as Star Struck or Star Struck: The Borrowed Edition)

So, like my good friend TroyBoy I have decided to follow the advice of Sari and view the Sveedish blog put up by Eva! It is truly a great blog and if you have a chance go over and visit. It's fun, it's silly, and it has ramblings about her little boy, who she affectionately (I am assuming) calls Boog!

Well, she recently put up a post about the celebrities that she has met throughout her life, and since TroyBoy decided to "borrow" it, I figured I would do the same, just rename it as well! So here it goes, my Star Gazing Experiences!


1. Dave Barry - I have met Dave Barry at various times throughout my years here in Miami. He is a local celebrity in the way that, he lives locally, even though he is famou
s nationally! Anyways, I have had the chance to talk to him at book signings, the International Book Fair, and at his world nationally renowned Herald Hunt! Oh, and most of the times that I have met him he "claims" to remember me!

2. Jo Dee Messina - The country superstar is by far my favorite country sin
ger! Jo Dee Messina has so much energy and such a variety of music that she performs, you never ever ever get bored. So the last time she was in town (doing a post Marlin game concert) I got tickets as well as a meet & greet pass and got to meet her, get autographs, and a picture! Very much a highlight! (See picture below)
3. Chuck Palahniuk - Chuck (we're on a first name basis) is my absolute favorite author. He is creative, dimented, and hysterical! He is most famous for writing Fight Club, but has written so many other books as well. On his tour for his most recent book, Rant, is where I had the opportunity to meet him. He was so kind, and did a reading of other works of his (non-published) that kept everyone entertained. (Of course all while throwing Moose Heads and rubber chickens into the audience for correct trivia answers). Mrs. Pheasantly Fascinating actually went with me to this even and took a picture of me and Chuck...

4. Sylvester Stallone - When I was very young (maybe eight) I did the Old Cutler Hike here in Miami with Cub Scouts. The hike goes from the Freedom Torch at Bayfront Park all the way into South Miami. On the trail, there were a couple of us who were talking and fell behind a little. While we were walking, just outside of the Grove (Sly's home at the time) a car drove by, and asked what everyone was walking for. We quickly recognized Mr. Stallone, and told him about it. He wished us luck and drove off.


5. Anderson Cooper - Last summer Anderson Cooper was in town doing a book signing and a short talk. He is so charismatic and normal that it is amazing. You would have thought that being up close to seeing everything that happened after the Tsunami in the South Pacific and then Katrina in New Orleans and Mississippi would have bittered someone, but not Anderson, he seems stronger from it. My dad and I went to listen to him, and when we got to meet him, my dad's only question was, what did he tell his stylist on how to cut his hair! (Side note: My father has a magazine cover with Anderson on it that he brings to the barber to cut his hair similar!)

6. Isabelle Allende - This was a weeknight seminar that the Miami International Book Fair put on a couple years ago. Mrs. Allende talked about her wide variety of books (
House of the Spirits, Ines of My Soul, Zorro) and answered questions. Then she went and signed books for hours and hours, talking and conversing with everyone!

7. Rosie O'Donnell - Again, a book signing, for her first book
Find Me. It wasn't really a meeting. It was more of a hello, signed book, shook hand, said have a nice day, or night. But still, it was really neat. And let me tell you something else, when Rosie has a book signing, there are some real interesting people who come out of the woodworks! (Present company excluded)

8. Buddy Guy - I got to meet Mr.Guy (sounds so anonymous doesn't it) on a plane from Miami to Tallahassee. He was a very very nice guy, willing to tell me all about growing up in Louisiana and moving to Chicago. He was playing a few gigs at one of the jazz bars in Tallahassee. I couldn't go as I was with other family up there, but he was on my plane up to Tallahassee one other time as well! He's my buddy!

9. O.J. Simpson - I have actually met this guy a few times over the years (that he willingly went outside the house here in Miami). He used to shop at my Publix as well as frequent the local Irish Tavern (that happens to be next to the said Publix). Anyways, it looks doubtful that I will be seeing him anytime soon!

I guess that's all the celebrities and famous people that I can think of! If I think of other's I'll post it separately. So who would I still like to meet? Well: Stephen King, Gregory Maguire, John Connolly to name a few! Who would you like to meet?

5 comments:

Hilda said...

OHMYGOD - you met my soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend Anderson Cooper! I think I'm breaking up with him after the election.

He hasn't done anything wrong, but it's time to move on.

I'll be moving on to "Good Morning America's" Chris Cuomo.

Eva said...

Hi! What a great list! Thanks for carrying the tradition to greater heights, and for your kind words on my blog. :) I'll be back - consider me your newest fan! I love that you go to book fairs - I want to do that someday!

Eva said...

oh, and P.S. You make a beautiful bride.

sari said...

Oh I would love to meet Stephen King!

Eva is great, isn't she? :-)

PS Nice hat

TroyBoy said...

That's my Matty...work it, boy, work it!