Books I'm Reading/Plan To Read

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Little Storm Never Hurt Anybody

So, it takes a lot to scare me, or get me freaked out! Yet, this was accomplished this past weekend. In fact, it happened for many many many people this weekend. You see, this weekend I had to work at the professional go kart track. We had a double race, so I was there on Saturday and Sunday. Now, many of the racers, are older, big, burly, men, and it's not often you hear a large number of these men get together and start saying things like, "That really freaked me out" or "Yeah, that was scary." So what was it that did this you might be asking yourself.

It was a storm!

Now this was no ordinary storm. No, this was a massive, beast of a storm. I am lucky as my cell phone has radar on it, so I would occasionally check the weather. We had a severe thunderstorm warning put on us, that was to last through the day. It didn't worry us too much. We have survived many a storm in our little 12'x6' trailer. Well this one started to come through the track and it was heavy rain. But it wasn't too long until that heavy rain turned into the monsoon from hell! The rain was no longer falling down...it was just whipping sideways! The trailer was shaking in every single direction imaginable! The two of us in there took opposite sides as to even weight if we could! Then as we look out the window, we see one by one the portable toilets falling over! (Ewww, but I don't use them, I have a regular bathroom there). And then the call!

My boss who was in the trailer with me, got a call on her cell phone. She answers and it is one of our clients, who is just shouting, "Move your car now!" She hesitated going into the mouth of the beast to move her car, but was glad she did. Right after moving her car, a large tent, complete with its steel poles came crashing down where car was once resting! After about 20 more minutes of this rain and wind and thunder and lightning, it slowed down. Enough that everyone came outside (much like at the end of the hurricane or tropical storm). Everything was just piles of mangled metal from tents being play toys for the storm. The storm had made perfect semi-circular arcs from some of the steel poles...STEEL POLES!

So after it was all over I figured I would check the radar to make sure nothing else was coming. There wasn't anything else coming, but the massive storm from Hades, on the radar, was oddly purple! I have never, ever, ever, seen purple on the radar before...usually the power goes out before purple shows up! But this was purple! (The purple I saw is the upper left hand of the picture below, follow the orange arrow. I couldn't find an actual radar picture with purple in it!)


We all survived, thank goodness, but it was scary!

3 comments:

Cristina said...

WOW! I'm glad everyone was ok it sounds like someone could have really gotten hurt. Alls well that ends well, I guess. Whew!

TroyBoy said...

I'm sorry...but the words "professional" and "go kart" really have business being in the same sentence.

Eva said...

That is an insane story! I am so glad nobody got hurt, and your little trailer stayed put! Wow.