Books I'm Reading/Plan To Read

Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Week End Wrap & Review: The Odyssey Edition

So this week has been busy preparing for a non-profit competition that I volunteer with every year called Odyssey of the Mind. It is creative problem solving for kids from Kindergarten through to College! So while I have been at home, printing out copies and preparing packets, a lot went on! Here it is!

What I Saw:
So far this week I have watched Into The Wild, which was a fantastic movie! Let me preface the rest of my review with the fact that the original Jon Krakhauer book was the very first non-fiction book that I ever read. I wanted to read it after seeing an interview with the author and hearing about the story of Chris McCandles. The book was fantastic, even though it is a tragic story. As far as the movie goes, it treats the book and the real life tale with all the respect and honesty that it deserves! Sean Penn is a master director and all the fantastic actors really created a masterpiece! I also got to see the Oscar nominated Juno, which was also a great movie. Bitterly sarcastic and dark, with a twist, it was a fun movie, reminiscent of Little Miss Sunshine, but a completely different story. Another thing that I have done over the past week is watch the entire first season of Jericho! Now, for those of you who don't watch this show...try it out! It is fantastic...very reminiscent of Stephen King's The Stand!

What I Heard: This week I had the opportunity to get an advanced copy of Dolly Parton's new album, Backwoods Barbie, and let me tell you it is great! I know I don't ever really talk about the music I don't care for, but that would be because I don't listen to it! Two of the songs to listen to are current single "Better Get To Livin'" which is full of advice we always hear, but pleasantly put! Also, listen to her cover of "Drives Me Crazy" a great version of this song!

What I Read: Well this week I had the chance to finish Dave Barry's History of the Millennium...So Far, which was witty and sarcastic and full of laugh out loud moments...many at the expense of Florida! But, if you need to catch up on the history of America from 2000-2006, then this is the book for you! I also decided to start Paula Poundstone's autobiography/memoir/comedy book, but I have not been able to get past the first 20 pages. So, I think it is going in the suspended pile while I move on and finish something else! As for whats new...nothing has been decided on yet...

No comments: